Last month, Wolves were linked with a swoop for Barcelona midfielder Carles Alena.
Barcelona have got themselves into a real financial mess and Wolves have already benefited.
They signed Francisco Trincao on loan from the Nou Camp last week and Alena is another Barca player who looks like he’ll be on the move this summer.
Unfortunately, Getafe expect to beat Wolves to sign the talented midfielder.
Their president Angel Torres told Sport the move is pending, and that Alena wants to come to Getafe.
“Alena’s move is pending. The boy wants to come to Getafe and Barcelona know it,” he said.
“I think he will have a happy ending. I am negotiating directly with Barcelona and I hope Alena will be here soon.”
In the middle of June, it was reported that Alena wanted to stay at Barca, but failing that he has clearly resolved to stay in Spain.
That’s not a huge surprise, seeing as he spent the second half of last season on loan there.
Would Alena have been a good signing?
Wolves need a midfielder this summer and Alena does have ability, Barcelona wouldn’t have signed him otherwise.
But if he wants to stay in Spain, it’s not a devastating blow to Wolves’ summer plans.
The good news is it seems Alena has made his mind up early, so Wolves are spending time chasing him through the transfer window only to end up disappointed.
- Exit-linked Ruben Neves ‘happy’ with his Wolves teammates; praises Lage
- Wolves transfer news: Jorge Mendes offers Rafa Mir to Barcelona
- Wolves miss out on Kaio Jorge as Brazilian agrees Juventus move
- Many Wolves fans say the same thing following 2-1 win over Coventry City
- Raul Jimenez posts on Instagram after scoring first Wolves goal since injury