Wolves are keen on Lille’s central defender Sven Botman, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.
He tweeted that Wolves are ready to open talks with the French champions over the Dutchman.
There was also an update on Duje Caleta-Car, who Wolves have also been linked with.
But Wolves face competition from Sevilla, who they recently did business with over the sale of Rafa Mir.
How good is Botman?
Botman plays alongside former Southampton defender Jose Fonte at Lille and he was full of praise for the 21-year-old in an interview with TalkSPORT earlier this year.
He said: “He is a top player. I wasn’t expecting this level of quality, but the guy is very composed; he’s mature for his age. You can be sure he can play at the highest level.”
Botman also gave some insight into who he models his game on during an interview with the Athletic in May.
“I look a lot at Sergio Ramos, I like his attitude,” said Botman. “On the field, it’s like, ‘I’m the boss, everybody has to listen to me’. I think some attackers hold back a bit because of that confidence.”
Wolves stepping up defensive search
The links with international defenders like Botman and Caleta-Car indicates Wolves are ramping up their search for a new central defender.
Is that because they’re expecting an influx of cash from the sale of Adama Traore?
Or just that the window is closing and Fosun are weighing up splashing out for a top new defender regardless of outgoings?
Time will tell but Botman is certainly the calibre of central defender Wolves need and he would be an exciting signing.
- 'One thing that stood out': £3.3m Wolves ace shares Lopetegui trait that impressed him in 2022
- Report: Julen Lopetegui wanted to keep £27.5m Wolves player but he wanted out
- 'Proactive': Matt Hobbs says £13.5m Wolves man really wanted fresh move that 'ticks every box'
- 'Nothing in': Wolves have no interest in 'rapid' 22-year-old PL defender – journalist
- Report: £29m Wolves star could leave Molineux at the end of the season, league leaders keen