Ruben Neves’ future has been a subject of conversation throughout Wolves’ transfer window.
Bruno Lage has refused to rule out his departure last week, but a suitable offer hasn’t come forward.
Now, reports in Italy claim that the pair could be involved in a dramatic swap deal.
Gazzetta Dello Sport claim that Jorge Mendes will moot the prospect of the two midfielders swapping clubs today.
He is set for talks with Juventus over Cristiano Ronaldo’s future and the future of Neves and Ramsey will also be discussed.
Same old issues
The report says that the financials of the deal would be ‘challenging’ and that is an understatement.
Ramsey is apparently on £400,000 per week. That’s so far beyond what Wolves can afford to pay.
The Welshman would need to take a huge pay cut and drop out of the Champions League to come to Molineux.
Those are the same issues which have made the links implausible all summer and there’s no indication of how Mendes is planning to get around them.
Ramsey is ‘world-class’, according to his international teammate Joe Allen, but is also a different type of midfielder to Neves.
It wouldn’t be a like-for-like swap if it – somehow – happened. It would be a huge surprise though.
With Mendes, you can’t rule anything out but this looks like a bizarre report at this stage.
- Wolves team news: Lage names XI to face Tottenham, Mosquera starts
- Yerson Mosquera posts on social media ahead of Tottenham clash
- Wolves should probably be keeping tabs on Club Brugge star Hans Vanaken
- Is Wolves v Tottenham on TV? Kick off time, coverage and team news
- Three questions Bruno Lage will be looking at in Wolves’ EFL Cup tie vs Tottenham