Wolves reportedly bid £13 million for Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car in August.
The club tried and failed to get a new senior central defender through the door in the summer.
With Yerson Mosquera now injured, the need for one has increased even more ahead of the winter window.
Caleta-Car is apparently attracting interest from Premier League clubs – but are Wolves still in the race?
Italian outlet Calcio Mercato claim that West Ham and Newcastle are battling for his signature ahead of January.
Wolves were not named in the report and perhaps they have their attention elsewhere.
It is also worth asking how much an Italian publication would know about the future of a Croatian player plying his trade in France.
Wolves may still be keen, but their interest is going under the radar.
That said, some fans may be pessimistic about the chances of Wolves going back in for the Croatian international.
Newcastle are now the richest club in the world, so will Wolves really go toe-to-toe with them in the transfer market?
It seems unlikely, and West Ham – Wolves’ next opponents – can offer European football at a club who are currently in the Champions League places.
Wolves do need a central defender in January, so expect that search to reignite again, but Caleta-Car may not be the man in their sights.
- 'One more step': Forgotten Wolves star drops encouraging video on social media
- 'Perplexed': Simon Jordan questions 42-year-old who turned down Wolves, amid new reports
- Wolves and Newcastle ask about 21-year-old star who's been compared to David Silva – journalist
- How Wolves star Ruben Neves got on for Portugal in thrilling contest vs Ghana at the World Cup
- 'He's got something': Ally McCoist raves about electric Wolves target in World Cup thriller