Wolves loanee Patrick Cutrone started for Empoli last night as they were outclassed by Inter in a 2-0 home loss.
Danilo D’Ambrosio put the visitors 1-0 up before half-time after an assist from former Arsenal and Manchester United winger Alexis Sanchez.
Samuele Ricci’s 52nd minute red card put Empoli down to ten men before Federico Dimarco sealed the victory.
Striker Cutrone had a game to forget.
Cutrone had just nine touches in 66 minutes as Empoli struggled to get him the ball.
He had two shots at goal, which both missed the target. Cutrone made just four passes in his time on the pitch, finding a teammate with only two of them.
Inter are third in the league, and Empoli are now 12th, so it was always going to be a tough night’s work 11v11.
The red card made Cutrone’s task even more thankless, but even then, only nine touches in more than an hour on the pitch is a really disappointing return.
Last night’s result and performance brought Cutrone and Empoli back down to earth with a bump.
On Saturday, he scored his first goal for the club – and his first goal for anyone since July 2020 – in a 4-2 victory.
Empoli will be looking to get back on track away from home against Sassuolo on Sunday.
- Confirmed Wolves XI to face Burnley: Adama Traore finally starts as Lage makes two changes
- 'Shock', 'I'd love this': Some fans divided over what Wolves are reportedly considering
- Wolves star outlines his ambition to play in the Champions League
- £35k-a-week star could convert to a new position at Wolves in January – opinion
- 21-year-old could reportedly head back to Wolves in January, he's 'smashing it'