Wolves were linked with Duje Caleta-Car in the closing days of the transfer window.
Bruno Lage reportedly placed a bid of around £13 million to Marseille for the defender before the deadline.
But the Croatian international was not keen on the move, seemingly for two main reasons.
The first is that he had interest from Liverpool in January and is seemingly holding out for a Champions League move.
The second is that he has just had a child and doesn’t want to move his young family from France to England.
But according to reports in France, Marseille aren’t happy with that. They are looking at how to punish Caleta-Car for refusing the move.
One option is that he is simply frozen out completely. The other is that he is dropped to the reserves, as per Foot Mercato.
Perhaps if Caleta-Car is ostracised by Marseille, it would open the door for Wolves to go back in for him in January.
But if a player isn’t sold on a move, it’s not usually a good idea to force it. You want players who are desperate to play for your club.
It will be an interesting situation, and one Wolves might keep an eye on if he remains a target.
- Wolves team news: Lage names XI to face Tottenham, Mosquera starts
- Yerson Mosquera posts on social media ahead of Tottenham clash
- Wolves should probably be keeping tabs on Club Brugge star Hans Vanaken
- Is Wolves v Tottenham on TV? Kick off time, coverage and team news
- Three questions Bruno Lage will be looking at in Wolves’ EFL Cup tie vs Tottenham