Wolves target Joao Palhinha says he wants to sign a new contract with Sporting.
Palhinha has been a reported target for the club even since Nuno Espirito Santo’s reign.
He was also linked in the summer when Wolves did not ultimately sign a new midfielder.
Palhinha played the full 90 minutes as Portugal drew 0-0 with the Republic of Ireland last night.
After the game, he spoke to Portuguese publication Record about his future at Sporting.
“I don’t know. You have to ask the president. I would like [to renew]. You know perfectly well… I’m in the national team and I shouldn’t even be talking on a personal level.
“You know perfectly well what the club means to me.”
On the game, he said: “It was a tough match, against a good team in a great atmosphere. It’s not easy to play in Ireland. The important thing is that we depend on us and we have a final ahead of us. One more.”
There has been a feeling that Palhinha is Wolves’ dream central midfield target.
But he only seemed affordable if a top player like Ruben Neves was sold to fund the move.
Perhaps moving Adama Traore on would have done the trick, but it seems clear that Palhinha is happy where he is.
It now seemingly depends on Sporting putting the right offer on the table to keep Palhinha away from potential suitors, including Wolves.
- Confirmed Wolves XI to face Burnley: Adama Traore finally starts as Lage makes two changes
- 'Shock', 'I'd love this': Some fans divided over what Wolves are reportedly considering
- Wolves star outlines his ambition to play in the Champions League
- £35k-a-week star could convert to a new position at Wolves in January – opinion
- 21-year-old could reportedly head back to Wolves in January, he's 'smashing it'