Ruben Vinagre could be set to leave Molineux this summer, either on loan or permanently.
The Express and Star report Sporting in Portugal are working on a loan deal for the 22-year-old.
They say that there’s the prospect of a £7.5 million option to buy at the end of the 2021/22 season included in the deal.
But they claim Wolves would actually rather sell Vinagre this summer – but know they might need to be creative in the transfer market.
There’s an acceptance that Wolves need to move players on this summer to fund new arrivals.
Vinagre is one who is seemingly expendable despite having the best years of his career ahead of him.
That title-winners Sporting want him speaks to his talent, but it must be said he hasn’t set the Premier League alight.
But loaning him out only clears his wages and a spot in the squad for a new face. Selling this summer would bring in funds, and that’s seemingly the order of the day in this window.
Should Wolves sell Vinagre?
Bruno Lage is a former youth coach and is good at developing young players.
That means he might fancy his chances of getting something out of Vinagre that Wolves haven’t seen yet.
But with Jonny clearly first choice at left wing-back, it seems Vinagre would be best served playing next season elsewhere.
Time will tell if Wolves get their wish of selling him to raise funds to add to the transfer budget or if they have to settle for a loan.
- 5 in 5: Hugely talented Wolves defender is sending Lage a message with recent form – opinion
- 'What a season': Coady says it's 'only the start' for Wolves teammate after his amazing 2021/22
- Report: Wolves make contact over 'dynamic' and 'tough-tackling' Bundesliga captain
- Wolves may need to give 22y/o assurances this summer, or he could seek exit – opinion
- 'The club's strategy': £1.78m man shares potential theory behind Wolves' slump