Owen Otasowie has rejected a new contract at Wolves, according to the Telegraph.
They report that he has just a year remaining on his existing deal but there was ‘no breakthrough’ in talks over a new one.
They claim that the midfielder has interest from Germany and Belgium in the shape of Wolfsburg and Anderlecht.
Wolfsburg could offer Champions League football after finishing fourth in the Bundesliga last season.
The report claims that £6 million could be enough to sign Otasowie this summer.
Absent in pre-season
Otasowie has played just 14 minutes of pre-season and we wondered last week why that was.
Then a report came out that he is struggling with a hamstring problem, which seemed to explain it.
But now this report casts fresh doubt and raises the question of whether the midfielder will still be a Wolves player by the time the transfer window closes.
The report doesn’t say why talks broke down. Maybe Otasowie wants greater assurances over playing time.
Maybe it’s a financial thing. We just don’t know at this stage.
If Wolfsburg can offer him the chance to play regularly in a side playing in the Champions League, he’ll give that serious thought.
But Wolves’ midfield is already looking slightly thin going into the season and losing a promising young option from the engine room wouldn’t be ideal.
We’ll see how this one develops before the window closes at the end of the month.
- Wolves' Hwang Hee-chan fires South Korea into World Cup last 16 with dramatic 91st-minute winner
- Wolves star has barely played since £4.5m move, Lopetegui era can be his fresh start – opinion
- Report: £10m player Lopetegui has his eye on for Wolves seemingly wants out
- 3 contenders for best Wolves player of 2022, including £7m star – opinion
- Former Wolves star leads nation into World Cup knockout stages after 2-1 win