Wolves were first linked with Renato Sanches at the end of the summer transfer window.
And the reports have refused to go away since, with Bruno Lage still looking light on options in the centre of his midfield.
French outlet L’Equipe have provided an update on Lille’s thoughts on whether he will remain with them until the end of the season.
They say that there is a gentlemen’s agreement between Lille and Sanches; if an offer from a big club arrives, he can leave.
But privately, senior Lille figures are nevertheless optimistic that the midfielder will end the season at the club.
That means they should therefore be able to count on him against Chelsea in the Champions League when the knockout rounds get underway in February.
There is still the prospect he could leave of course but the onus would be on Wolves to put a good offer on the table.
Will they do that mid-season? It seems doubtful, especially given the way Fosun have tightened the pursestrings at the club in recent windows.
That means it it remains to be seen whether Wolves move onto other targets or bide their time even more and then go again in the summer.
- Report: Wolves 2021 summer target expected to leave his club after 'best season of his career'
- Loan 'likely' for £13.5m Wolves player, league champions keen – journalist
- 'He has to improve': Lage wants even more from influential £17m Wolves player
- Jude Bellingham sends two-word message to Wolves youngster after big achievement
- Report: PL club will now hear offers for two previous Wolves targets, including £17m dynamo