Wolves came close to signing Lille midfielder Renato Sanches in the closing days of the transfer window.
The hope was still alive going into deadline day but the deal didn’t get over the line.
Now, Lille president Olivier Letang has told La Voix du Nord how close Sanches came to leaving during the summer.
“It’s an open secret. Renato could have left, he had an exit certificate,” he said.
“We had almost reached an agreement with a very big club but his knee injury changed the plans.
“Now, we are happy to have Renato still with us and we hope he comes back (from injury as soon as possible).”
The club Lille almost came to an agreement with over Sanches could well be Wolves.
There were reports on deadline day that the deal couldn’t get done because his injury was worse than Wolves initially believed.
It has already been claimed that Wolves could try and go back in for the Portugal international in January.
- Raul Jimenez admits Adama Traore partnership hasn’t quite been there so far
- Is it time for Lage to change formation and give Jimenez a partner?
- Slavisa Jokanovic hails Wolves loan star Morgan Gibbs-White
- Fans praise Vitinha after shining on first start for Porto
- New signing Josh Esen scores on Wolves youth debut