Chelsea have been credited with an interest in Wolves defender Max Kilman after an impressive season at Molineux.
Thomas Tuchel’s side also play a back three, just like Wolves, and they are facing the prospect of losing Antonio Rudiger on a free transfer in the summer.
After the rumours broke, the Athletic’s Wolves correspondent Tim Spiers was asked on the Athletic Football Podcast how much it would cost to land Kilman as it stands this summer.
Spiers said: “It’s interesting about Chelsea as Kilman’s brother is in the Chelsea academy. You’re right to say he’s been on England’s radar.
“I know Gareth Southgate has watched him. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he got a call-up in March. In terms of value, you’ve got to be looking at £20-30 million, based on the value of players who have left the club or nearly left the club in recent years. That’s how good he is.”
MORE WOLVES STORIES
When it was put to Spiers that valuation seemed ‘cheap’ in light of deals such as Ben White’s £50 million summer move from Brighton to Arsenal, he replied: “It’s just half a season though but if he gets an England call-up or Wolves get into Europe with him in the team, that will just go up and up.”
White was in the England squad for Euro 2020 but that was the first time he had really broken into Southgate’s setup and not long after, he moved for £50 million (Sky Sports).
As Spiers says, Kilman making that leap would boost his value but as it stands, £20 million really would feel cheap given how good his season has been.
Wolves handed Kilman a new contract back in October, which means there is absolutely no pressure to sell and strengthens their hand.
Young, English talents tend to move for huge sums and Wolves should hold out for nothing less; especially as they really shouldn’t even be considering selling him at all.
- ‘Opportunity’: Matt Hobbs shares whether Wolves could now sign new players in January
- ‘It’s just not true’: Matt Hobbs strongly refutes one perception about Wolves boss Gary O’Neil
- ‘Faultless’: Alan Shearer says £45k-a-week Wolves star did something hardly anyone else has managed
- ‘I didn’t really…’: ‘Imposing’ 25-year-old explains why he didn’t make Wolves move in summer
- Five goal contributions, five games; £17m Wolves player is already catching the eye out on loan