Bruno Lage has taken a closer look at some of Wolves’ youngsters during pre-season.
With some senior players granted extended breaks after Euro 2020, some Under 23s have been training and playing with the first team.
Under 23s manager James Collins has given an interview to the club’s website where he said that not all of the young players who have played a part in pre-season will remain at the club.
Some will go on loan and a decision on who those players will be is due to be made soon.
“This is the life of an under-23s coach. You want your players to be spending pre-season with the first-team,” he said.
“As well as getting exposed to higher standards of competition, it also gives the manager a chance to see them up close, see how they’ve improved and he can decide whether he wants them for his group going into the season.
“It’s good that the new manager has come in and took them away with him. I’m sure when he comes back, we’ll get some good feedback and he’ll have an idea of who he thinks is doing well and who isn’t.
“We’ll have the boys back from Marbella at the end of this week and the manager will decide if he wants to keep any of them, if they’ll return to us, or if they’ll go out on loan. Those decisions will be made at the weekend.”
When those decisions are made, we’ll get an idea of who’s impressed Bruno Lage in pre-season.
That said, it could just be that a loan to play regular football is better for one player at this stage, while another is best served learning at the club.
It would be great if some of the young guns can force their way into Lage’s plans for the season ahead.
But if they are sent on loan, they can still impress by playing every week at whatever level they’re at and showing they’re ready for more.
- 'Possibility': Wolves could announce 56y/o as Lage's successor early next week – journalist
- Report: The embarrassingly low option to buy clause Everton have on Conor Coady
- Injured Wolves duo pictured in latest training photos, £14m star on the grass
- Report: 42-year-old linked with Wolves receives fresh backing from club, amid recent sack talk
- 'I'm hoping': Sasa Kalajdzic provides latest injury update, shares when he wants to be back