Wolves were linked with a swoop for Porto central midfielder Sergio Oliveira during the summer transfer window.
In the end, the rumours came to nothing and Villa ended the window still in need of reinforcements in the engine room.
Oliveira was in action for Porto last night, where he plays alongside Vitinha, who was of course on loan at Molineux last season.
The midfielder was the hero of the hour, firing home an 89th minute free-kick to win the clash with Gil Vicente.
It was a stunning strike at a crucial time, and showed Wolves what they could have had.
There were reports earlier this month that Oliveira could move on in January, when Wolves will still be looking for a new midfielder.
After the game, Oliviera took to Instagram to send a message about his joy over the winning goal.
It read: “So happy to be able to help the team. Glory to God.”
Wolves don’t really have much in the way of a goalscoring central midfielder right now, although Leander Dendoncker did find the net on Wednesday night against Tottenham.
If Oliveira keeps performing like this, the interest from Wolves won’t go away, but it will be harder for Bruno Lage to prise him away if he really wants him.
- Wolves fans hail Molineux stars as they undertake life support training
- Bruno Lage makes very bold claim about Wolves star Joao Moutinho
- Wolves fans discuss returning Francisco Trincao’s role this Saturday
- Collins comments on ‘naive’ Wolves U23 performance
- Edwards says Wolves looked fitter than Villa on Saturday