Former Wolves midfielder David Edwards has blasted defender Marcal after Saturday’s 2-0 loss to Brentford.
Marcal gave away the penalty which allowed Ivan Toney to open the scoring for the visitors.
It was a needless foul to make, with Marcal grabbing Toney and Edwards wrote in the Express and Star he spotted the defender making the same mistake before that too.
“It was a really poor start to the game and once you’ve given a team a 2-0 head-start in the Premier League it’s almost impossible to come back the way teams can defend and keep the ball.
“You can see with the very first corner that Marcal is scared to death of Ivan Toney, trying to grip him and not move him, you can see the referee watching.
“It was really naive to do it again, the manager should be furious he made the same mistake again, right under the referee’s nose.”
Sky Sports pundit Edwards is right to hit out at Marcal for what was a really poor piece of defending for a player of his experience.
To do the same twice is even worse and it was always going to be punished by the referee.
The penalty put Wolves right on the back foot and they never recovered from that.
Marcal has made a strong start to the season in an attacking sense, but that really costly aggression in the box on Saturday could see his place come under threat.
- Report: Wolves staff actually think they've pulled off a real bargain signing this summer
- Report: Wolves battling Southampton and Eddie Howe for £25m star, Lage has made contact
- 'I'm ready': Star who's played just 10 minutes under Lage ready to fight for chances at Wolves
- Matheus Nunes' mother reacts, with 23-year-old set to sign for Wolves imminently
- 'Massive plus': Former Wolves star talks up returning 28-year-old as he brands duo 'poor'