Former Wolves midfielder turned Sky Sports pundit David Edwards has praised Jose Sa.
Sa was arguably Wolves’ best player in the 0-0 draw with Norwich on Saturday and drew praise from some fans on Twitter.
Edwards wrote in his Express and Star column how impressed he has been with the Portuguese, who was signed in the summer by Bruno Lage.
“If they are to take the positives then it’s the clean sheet,” wrote Edwards. “Goalkeeper Jose Sa and the back three were the stand-out players on the pitch.
“I’ve been really impressed with Sa since he joined. It was always going to be big shoes to fill in Rui Patricio’s, but he’s a different type of keeper, with the distribution he brings out of his hands and off the floor.
“His starting position is excellent, he’s a fine sweeper keeper.
I know Tony Roberts the goalkeeper coach from my time with Wales and knowing what a terrific coach he is, it seems to be a perfect fit at the moment.
Sa may have been seen as a downgrade on paper at the time; with Wolves losing Portugal’s number one goalkeeper for one who wasn’t even in the squad in the summer.
But Sa’s style of goalkeeping suits Lage’s methodology better. He wants to play on the front foot, get off his line and start attacks.
He has been one of Wolves’ best players this season and settled into life in the Premier League seamlessly.
- Report: Wolves in chase to sign 23-cap international who is out of contract in the summer
- 'Top six in their sights': Mark Lawrenson predicts Brentford v Wolves, picks a winner
- Merson predicts Brentford v Wolves and suggests WWFC could qualify for the Champions League
- 'Quality' 23-year-old should 100% start for Wolves against Brentford on Saturday – opinion
- Report: Wolves respond as club table £15m offer for Molineux ace they see as a priority