Jose Sa to Wolves has to be up there with the best signings in the Premier League from last summer, not least in terms of value.
The goalkeeper has played a huge part in Wolves’ strong defensive record and so has the captain Conor Coady.
Some of England’s players have suffered a form hangover after Euro 2020 but Coady is right at the time of his game despite a disrupted pre-season.
The skipper was interviewed on TalkSPORT and was asked about Sa, where he was only too happy to sing the praises of the Portuguese stopper.
“He’s a character, a proper character,” said Coady of Sa.
“As you’ll know, most goalies are a bit mad aren’t they? He’s no different. The good thing about him as a goalkeeper is how commanding he is and how high he is in his positioning.
“We want to play a bit more aggressively, a bit more on the front foot and he is a big part of that.”
Sa and Coady clearly have a good relationship on and off the field and that is just one of the factors behind the good defensive record.
Bruno Lage has made Wolves more proactive and possession based while also improving their defensive statistics and that is not easy to do at all.
He deserves credit for bringing Sa in to replace Rui Patricio, who looked like a big loss at the time but has been replaced seamlessly.
- Report: £10m player Lopetegui has his eye on for Wolves seemingly wants out
- 3 contenders for best Wolves player of 2022, including £7m star – opinion
- Former Wolves star leads nation into World Cup knockout stages after 2-1 win
- 'Should not have attended': National media fume over Wolves player at World Cup
- Report: Encouraging news drops about 'destructive' 26-year-old Wolves star