Bruno Lage has hailed the improvement of Wolves’ record signing Fabio Silva.
Silva started the FA Cup clash with Sheffield United on Sunday and set up Daniel Podence’s opening goal in the 3-0 win.
As per the Express and Star, Lage talked up Silva, and said he has been working hard to get better in recent months, as well as stating if he keeps going the way he is, he will get more opportunities.
“Remember what Fabio did, this is what I want for him. Also remember the 45 minutes he played in the League Cup against Tottenham (in September), and there’s a big difference.
“These kind of things you conquer in training. I believe a lot in training and the way we work. The players need to convince me in training for the chances they have.
“To be fair, Fabio is working hard. Sometimes it is not a comfortable result to make changes and players ask me to sub, or I understand it is better to play one more midfielder. But in the last month Fabio comes inside to try to help the team, he is working hard every day.
“If I see this Fabio working every day in training and playing like he did in the last 10 minutes against Man United and what he did (against Sheffield United), I am very happy and he will get more time. In that time he will score more goals for us.”
It has not been easy for Silva at Wolves. It is not his fault he cost £35 million and he was thrown into the deep end last season when he was clearly not prepared.
This year, he has had to be far more patient and something has changed between the September EFL Cup exit he mentioned and now to impress Lage.
Silva will hope for more chances to shine although it is hard when Raul Jimenez is the undisputed first pick striker – and for good reason.
- 'One more step': Forgotten Wolves star drops encouraging video on social media
- 'Perplexed': Simon Jordan questions 42-year-old who turned down Wolves, amid new reports
- Wolves and Newcastle ask about 21-year-old star who's been compared to David Silva – journalist
- How Wolves star Ruben Neves got on for Portugal in thrilling contest vs Ghana at the World Cup
- 'He's got something': Ally McCoist raves about electric Wolves target in World Cup thriller