Raul Jimenez has made his return to competitive action for Wolves today.
Having had a strong pre-season, Jimenez was included in Bruno Lage’s first Premier League starting XI.
The game was previewed by the Soccer Saturday pundits on Sky Sports ahead of kick off.
At 1.40pm, former Arsenal man Paul Merson shared what a big fan he is of the Mexican talisman.
“Jimenez, I’m a massive fan of – I think he’s a proper player,” said Merson. “If Harry Kane left, I’d be shocked if Nuno didn’t go in for Jimenez.
“You could see (his importance) last season when he was out with his bad injury.”
Fellow pundit Kris Boyd added: “You hope he comes back to the player he was because he was a handful.
“You talk about goalscorers; he was that person for Wolves, scoring all sorts of goals. He was the main player. He could definitely score goals at (European) level.”
We all know how important Jimenez was to this Wolves side and Lage will hope he regains his best form.
Pundits like Merson can link him with a reunion with his old boss Nuno, but surely the club would never consider allowing that deal.
He’s irreplaceable for Wolves and the key is providing him with chances because he will score them.
- Bruno Lage identifies three areas Wolves need to improve
- Reported Wolves target Oliveira scores last-gasp free-kick winner for Porto
- Journalist thinks Lage will name unchanged team against Southampton
- Which kit will Wolves wear against Southampton?
- Lage responds when asked whether Podence will get a chance in the league