Paul Merson has predicted the outcome of Wolves’ trip to Southampton this weekend on Sportskeeda.
Wolves will travel to St Mary’s on the back of their EFL Cup exit against Tottenham and a poor result against Brentford in their last league outing.
But former Arsenal star Merson, who also works as a pundit for Sky Sports, is backing Wolves to get back on track.
“Wolves disappointed me last week against Brentford. I thought they turned a corner after their victory against [Watford], but they were beaten quite easily by a newly-promoted team,” he wrote.
“Southampton, on the other hand, are a funny team – you just don’t know what you’re going to get from them.
“They got an unbelievable result against Manchester City last week because they had a game plan and nailed it to the dot.
“Against Wolves, though, Adama Traore’s pace could hurt them. They are playing at home with a lot of pressure to win, but I think they will get nicked off on the counter. Prediction: Southampton 1-2 Wolves.”
Wolves need a big performance
Wolves have slipped 2-0 behind on their own patch in both of their last two matches.
Those poor starts are costing them and they cannot afford to suffer the same fate again this weekend.
The slow start issue has dated back to pre-season, when even matches like the one against Celta Vigo saw Wolves begin matches sluggishly.
A reaction is needed at St Mary’s and Wolves are more than capable of winning, especially if Traore is on top of his game.
- Predicted Wolves XI to face Fulham: Lage makes Guedes decision, 21y/o keeps place
- 'It would be best': Manager says £54m striker linked with Wolves can leave club
- Report: Wolves interested in 35-cap international defender, but Italian trio are lurking
- 'Could be improved': Former Wolves star makes interest claim about Lage after working under him
- £12.6m Wolves striker target will leave his club soon, two PL clubs keen – Fabrizio Romano