Wolves fans tuning into last night’s Match of the Day had a goal and a win to celebrate.
Romain Saiss netted an impressive volley to seal all three points with a 1-0 win over Brighton at the Amex Stadium.
Bruno Lage’s men needed to find another route to goal and Saiss provided it on top of a strong defensive performance.
Pundits Dion Dublin and Danny Murphy had praise for Saiss after the game, hailing his work at both ends of the pitch.
“He was good, wasn’t he? He just seems to read the game really well and puts himself in the right position when he’s defending,” said Dublin of Saiss.
“Loves to get forward out of defence and look at the composure to start a move off. He always looks forward. Stays alive (for the goal) and it’s an amazing ball from Ruben Neves.”
Murphy added: “The system really suits him, playing in a three when you’re a good ball-playing defender. It gives you the space and time. He nearly got a second with a great technical strike. He’s been a tower of strength for them.
As per WhoScored, Saiss made a whopping nine clearances to help Wolves preserve their clean sheet as well as five interceptions.
Both those totals are more than double what any other Wolves player on the pitch managed and as Murphy eluded to, he also hit the post with a second half volley.
It was a fantastic all-round display and a reminder of what Wolves will be missing out on when Saiss goes to the Africa Cup of Nations, provided it goes ahead.
- Report: Wolves in chase to sign 23-cap international who is out of contract in the summer
- 'Top six in their sights': Mark Lawrenson predicts Brentford v Wolves, picks a winner
- Merson predicts Brentford v Wolves and suggests WWFC could qualify for the Champions League
- 'Quality' 23-year-old should 100% start for Wolves against Brentford on Saturday – opinion
- Report: Wolves respond as club table £15m offer for Molineux ace they see as a priority