Wolves drew 0-0 with Norwich City at Carrow Road, putting in an underwhelming performance.
The positive spin is it was a third away league clean sheet this season and only Liverpool and Chelsea have more to their name.
But the attacking display was disappointing, as underlined by an xG total of just 0.23 from the game.
Lage told his post-match press conference what he said to his players after the game.
“I said that in the dressing room in front of the players. The most important thing; the wingers, the strikers, the full backs, they have the freedom to create chances.
“We’re very solid at the back with three centre backs and two midfielders. I was pleased how we built up from the goalkeeper, through to the defenders and midfielders, but in the final third we need to be more aggressive.
“They have the freedom to do that, to go inside, to shoot and create their own chances. We must be more aggressive, when one v one, and of course not to concede chances for the opponent.
“In the first 30 minutes, we managed it. We played as though we were at home. In the second half the game was more balanced, we moved the ball to the sides, we concede some positions, and Norwich create good chances.
“We can do better in the final third.”
Wolves now have 20 points, and that is a total most fans would have taken when Lage lost his first three games in charge.
At the moment, the balance is just tipped towards conservative football, but that is getting points.
That will give Lage the platform to maybe add some more flair in the latter part of the season if it continues.
- 'He has talent': £22m Spurs star says he looks out for how 26-year-old does at Wolves
- Report: Wolves have shown interest in 24-year-old, but another club has agreed £30m deal
- Hwang Hee-Chan speaks out after sealing permanent Wolves move
- Sky pundit says Wolves star really impressed him v Brentford but went under the radar
- 'Very happy with him': Lage comments on Wolves player without a goal since August