Rayan Ait-Nouri was tasked with keeping Mo Salah quiet when Wolves hosted Liverpool at Molineux this afternoon.
Not too many players in the Premier League or Champions League have managed to do that this season. The Egyptian is arguably the world’s form player right now.
But Ait-Nouri managed it with a performance of defensive discipline while also getting forward to bomb on when Wolves were able to counter.
It was hugely impressive from such a young player, succeeding where more experienced players have failed so far this season.
That display rightly earned him praise from plenty of Wolves fans on Twitter over the course of the game.
Ait-Nouri has dislodged Marcal as Bruno Lage’s first-choice left wing-back now, taking the opportunity which came his way when the experienced defender got injured ahead of the Leeds game in October.
He has a hugely promising future in the game if he keeps these levels up and there is not a harder test in world football than the one he faced today.
Here is how the performance went down with some old Gold supporters on Twitter despite the late heartbreak inflicted by Divock Origi.
- Report: Lopetegui makes offer for 31-year-old who broke Wolves hearts in 2020, Villa keen too
- Report: Wolves transfer target now misses training, amid claims Molineux move is imminent
- Manager should have big regrets over £18m Wolves star, he has X-factor – opinion
- Wolves officials left red-faced, as player Lage wanted upstages Cristiano Ronaldo – opinion
- 'Imperative': Wolves told they must strengthen position even if £30m man finds form