Paul Merson has predicted the result of Wolves’ return to Premier League action against Southampton for Sportskeeda.
Wolves won 3-0 against Sheffield United in the FA Cup third round on Sunday and will be looking to take confidence from that game into this meeting with the Saints.
Raul Jimenez hit the winner when the two sides met at St Mary’s back in September and Merson is backing Wolves to do the double over Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side.
“Southampton got a great result against Brentford the other day, as was the case with Wolves against Manchester United.
“Wolves don’t score enough goals and that’s the only issue for me, but if they manage to solve this issue, they’d be absolutely phenomenal.
“Despite their lack of goals this season, I think they’ve played some brilliant football this season and should have enough to beat Southampton at home.
“Armando Broja is a player who has caught my eye – this kid looks really good. He’s big, strong and knows where the goal is, so I’m sure Chelsea will be keeping a keen eye on his development. Prediction: Wolves 2-1 Southampton.”
We have come to expect games involving Wolves to be low scoring and even the three goals Merson predicts here might be a stretch.
Wolves have only conceded to Manchester City and Liverpool in their last eight games and even though Southampton won 4-1 last time out, Bruno Lage will hope his side can keep them out.
That midweek match may have also taken a little bit out of the Saints, while Wolves had a full week to prepare for this game and that extra energy may make the difference here.
- Report: Wolves showing interest in coveted South American starlet, his club want £16m
- Report: League champions interested in £80k-a-week Wolves player, but they have doubts
- 'The way he's playing, yes': Lage suggests fringe Wolves player could form part of rebuild
- £10m Wolves star may need colossal display against Liverpool to prevent summer axe – opinion
- 22-year-old is showing there's life after £18m player at Wolves – opinion