Defender Willy Boly is ’50-50′ to leave Wolves before the transfer window closes.
The Ivory Coast international is yet to play for the club this season, with Nathan Collins and Maximilian Kilman the preferred pairing at centre-back so far for Bruno Lage.
Boly might well have featured in Tuesday night’s game against Preston North End.
He was not in the matchday squad, which did leave some people to wonder whether it was transfer-related.
After the win over Preston, Lage admitted there had been a proposal for Boly.
Journalist Liam Keen spoke about Boly on the latest episode of the Express & Star podcast, and said that his future is currently up in the air.
He said (30:00): “The latest I’ve heard is that it’s very much up in the air. It’s very much a 50-50 situation.
“£1 million is not a fee that Wolves are going to accept and of course, they did reject it. They would want more than that.
“He’s only got a year left, so it’s a deal that Wolves would be open to doing to just cash in at least a little bit on a player that is going to leave on a free in 12 months.
“But then equally, they’re only willing to let him go if they can bring in a replacement.
Wolves need to take a decision on Willy Boly as soon as possible
Ideally, Wolves would keep Boly because, at the end of the day, he is vastly experienced at Premier League level.
And Wolves have no other options with proper experience in the top-flight.
But Boly being unavailable against Preston due to injury is a concern.
The star’s injury record has been deeply concerning over the past couple of years, and it is a risk to press ahead with him as the only experienced centre-back in reserve.
The best situation would be for Wolves to actually retain Boly, but still go out and sign another centre-half. Perhaps loaning someone in could be a good idea.
The club isn’t going to get too much money for Boly, so may as well just keep hold of him at this point. There is surely more value in keeping him, even if he only plays 10-15 games this term.